Saturday, January 16, 2010

It's Been Awhile

I am writing a recap of 2009.  In a nutshell: WOW!  So over the next few days I'm going to post some of the highs and lows of the year.  Is it really possible that the best year of your life is also the worst of your life?  Well that's what happened to me...

Where to begin again?

April 2009
What a great month!  The General returned home from Iraq and we got engaged. 

May 2009
Not a bad month.  We moved into a new and bigger apartment and started planning our wedding.

June & July 2009
This is when things turned bad....we found out at the end of June that our apartment complex was in financial trouble.  What they didn't tell us was that the city had stopped granting new electricity permits until the complex paid it's bills.  So essentially we had moved in at the end of May and had been getting power illegally until the end of June (much to our surprise!!).  So at the end of June they cut the power and we were forced to move.  At the time we weren't sure we wanted to stay in Jackson.  The General hadn't found a job yet.  We thought about moving back up to North MS and even went up there for a couple of weeks and stayed with The General's parents.  In the end we ended up staying and found a nice apartment.  Things were looking up.  At the end of July we were given three wedding/bridal showers.  My mom drove over from Huntsville and we all went up to Memphis and North MS for the festivities. My mother-in-law is the secretary at the church and belongs to a sewing group.  This group of women gave us the most wonderful wedding shower.  I was completely overwhelmed.

August 2009
Work was insane but things were going well with the wedding planning.  In fact, it's a blessing now as we look back that things were in order a couple of weeks before the wedding.  That's when disaster struck!

Just 4 days before the big day I fell in the middle of the night.  The General and I had been packing our bags getting ready to leave on Thursday for the wedding weekend.  We had bags everywhere - bags for the wedding and bags for the honeymoon.  So anyway I woke up around 12:30 AM on Wednesday morning and had to go to the bathroom.  On my way around the bed I tripped over The General's backpack.  That might not have been so bad but I landed on a dog bone and ended up breaking both bones in my leg just above my ankle and tearing all the ligaments in my ankle.  Needless to say it was bad.  The General called 911 and within 5 minutes we had firemen, policemen, and paramedics in the home (guess it was a slow night).  Luckily we live within 1/4 mile from a hospital.  Now I had never broken a bone in my life so I was not equipped for such pain.  And the ER doctor was not very sympathetic to our situation.  He told us that there wouldn't be a wedding - this sent me into hysterics.  Well he told us it was definitely broken and put me in a splint and sent me home with crutches and instructions to call an ortho doctor in the morning.  So we got home and I still had to go to the bathroom.  So I attempt to hobble into the bathroom and I tripped (AGAIN!) but was able to reach out and stop myself from falling too hard (however we would find out 2 weeks later that I had broken my scapula in that fall).

The next day we called an orthopaedic specialist and explained that situation but they couldn't see me that day.  So I called another place (which also happened to be next door to the hospital so it was close to home).  They were going to fit me in that morning.  We go to see the doctor and he does some x-rays and comes into the room and says "well it's broken." (no kidding?!?!?)  Fortunately Dr. D said that the swelling was too bad to even consider surgery so he said we could continue with the wedding and even go on our honeymoon.  We scheduled surgery for the day after Labor Day (2 days after we returned from our honeymoon).

Our Wedding - the show must go on!  Everyone was amazed that we were going through with it.  We borrowed a wheel chair and a walker (I couldn't use the crutches because of the broken scapula).   The General was a good sport about things.  We made some logistical changes to accommodate my wheelchair but for the most part everything went off without a hitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment