Wednesday, January 28, 2009

My favorite soldier

I never would have thought that I would want to marry into the Army. But here we are - thinking about rings and planning a wedding. Honestly, there have been times in the last couple of years that I thought that I would never marry (military or otherwise). Then the General came back into my life. Then things got complicated. The General was married to a work colleague of mine (they've been divorced now for a couple of years). While they were married, we would occasionally hang out as couples (me with my then boyfriend). It was difficult getting to know much about him because he was deployed right after they got married. Shortly before their divorce, they moved a few hours away. After the divorce, I remained in contact with the girl and occasionally would get an email from The General. Flash forward a couple years....The General is once again deployed to Iraq. I start getting emails from him and we start talking more and more. Then his birthday comes up and I decide to send him a care package (probably the best thing I could have ever done). 

From there we started emailing each other non-stop. It's definitely a non-conventional courtship, but it works for us. Without the luxury of phone calls or in-person visits, we have to rely on emails and letters. It's amazing how personal they can be.  The General was able to come home for leave during the beginning of January for 15 days. Those were the happiest days of my life. We were able to spend some quality time together and I am so grateful. Of course it made it harder to put him on a plane back to Iraq but I know he will be back in the states sometime in the beginning of April. That's when we can make it all official. I'm so excited.

Let the journey begin ...

No comments:

Post a Comment